BSP Nutrition Tip # 1 – Eat Real Food
BSP Nutrition Tip # 1
By Brian St. Pierre
Eat mostly real, whole, minimally processed food.
• If you couldn’t hunt, fish, pluck, grow or ferment/culture the food, you probably shouldn’t eat it
• If it wasn’t food 100 years ago, it isn’t food today
• If it comes in a box or a plastic wrapper, it most likely isn’t food, it is a food product
The fact of the matter is that humans throughout history have thrived on a tremendous variety of diets. High fat diets, high carb diets, mostly animal foods diets, mostly plant diets, and everything in between. Yet all of these societies were almost entirely free of the “diseases of civilization” that haunt us today – metabolic syndrome, diabetes, overweight, obesity, heart disease and cancer.
How is it that despite having diets that were upwards of 50% of calories from saturated fat, or upwards of 90% of calories from carbohydrates these people did not develop heart disease or diabetes, or other diseases of civilization that are crippling us today? Well, the answer is two-fold.
1. They were not eating a lot of sugar, refined flour, industrial vegetable oils or processed foods.
2. Though all of their diets were different, they all had one thing in common – they all ate a diet based around real, whole, minimally processed foods.
They did not eat poptarts, soda or white bread. They also did not eat fat-free cheese from cows force-fed tons of corn and living in filth, or even seemingly “healthy” foods like egg-white omelets, they ate the whole egg! That is where the vast majority of the nutrition is! (omega-3’s, vitamin D, choline, lutein, zeaxanthin, iron, iodine, and more)
The moral of the story is the first key to improving your nutrition, health, body composition and performance is to improve your food choices by eating mostly real, whole, minimally processed foods. That is the first step to making a drastic difference in how you feel, look and perform.
By Smitty on March 8th, 2011
FREE DIESEL NEWSLETTER
- Discover Pain Free, Joint-Friendly Training
- Get Super Effective Workouts and Programs
- Inspirational Life Lessons Each Week
- Effective Habits For Busy Entrepreneurs