Shoulder Blast – Underhand Press With Chains
SHOULDER BLAST | UNDERHAND PRESS WITH CHAINS
This variation of a shoulder press was great. We used it as part of a shoulder circuit that include dumbbell shoulder press, prone dowel press, and this shoulder-friendly press variation. As with most pressing variations with chains, with this variation, when the lifter is at their weakest, the load is at its lowest. When the lifter gains mechanical leverage advantage, more chain is off the ground and the total system is at its heaviest. This is called accommodating resistance.
For this pressing variation, and underhand or supinated grip is used on a ez curl cable bar. This loads the front delts like crazy and gives the lifter more “space” at the shoulder joint during the press. As you can see in the video, since this was a dropset and the weights were submaximal, a 10-count eccentric tempo was utilized for a set a 5. It was a ton of time under tension (TuT) and brutal!
1. Dumbbell Shoulder Press, 4 sets x 5 reps
2. Prone Weighted Dowel Press, 4 sets x 30 reps
3. Underhand Shoulder Press with Chains, 4 sets x 5 reps, 10-count eccentric
By Smitty on April 29th, 2020
FREE DIESEL NEWSLETTER
- Discover Pain Free, Joint-Friendly Training
- Get Super Effective Workouts and Programs
- Inspirational Life Lessons Each Week
- Effective Habits For Busy Entrepreneurs